Hi there global podcast community and the internet-at-large! I’m DB, my pronouns are they/them, I’ve been listening to podcast for years upon years, and I’m so glad to be a part of the team here at Promote the Podcasts. I love chatting with you all on twitter and love sharing my thoughts on all the different shows out there! It’s so great that podcasts have seen a resurgence in popularity over the past few years and it’s absolutely amazing to see just how many thousands of shows there are out there!
Anyway, on to my top ten list!
- Last Podcast on the Left: This is an amazing, well-researched occult/true crime/conspiracy/etc., comedy podcast from the Last Podcast Network (formerly Cave Comedy Radio). I’ve been a fan since mid-2014 and recommend this podcast to nearly everyone I meet. Marcus, Henry, and Ben are amazing hosts and amazing people. From Hollow Moon to Peoples Temple/Jonestown to Andrei Chikatilo and more, these three dedicate themselves to presenting the facts, their opinions, and making us laugh while we learn about something interesting. The guys recently celebrated their 300th episode and I couldn’t be more proud of them! Give this show a listen.
- Within the Wires (Season One): Within the Wires is one of the newest shows from Night Vale Presents. There are currently two seasons available wherever you listen to podcasts. Season one was this fantastic story told through guided meditations that took the reader on this eerie adventure about being kept in a research facility and trying to figure out who they were on the outside. It is expertly narrated and I highly recommend it.
- Lore: Aaron Mahnke is an amazing storyteller. His voice and words weave their way into history to tell stories that no one has ever told before. Recently, Lore was adapted into a tv show on the Amazon platform; I haven’t watched it yet, but I look forward to eventually doing so!
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History: Each episode of this show is a minimum of 3-4 hours long. It’s like getting a history lecture or listening to an audio book rather than a podcast. The episodes are posted infrequently, so it’s always a treat to get a notification about a new one.
- The Wizard and the Bruiser: Another podcast from the Last Podcast Network, The Wizard and the Bruiser is all about nerdy popular culture. Holden and Jake take the listener on adventures that discuss subjects such as Cowboy Bebop, The Muppets, Deadpool, The X-Files, etc. The hosts are super funny and really passionate about nerd culture and make sure they do all their research to present the best episode possible.
- NoSleep Podcast: One of the most well-known titles in horror fiction podcasting, NoSleep Podcast is currently on its 10th season! Originally taking stories from r/nosleep, the podcast now accepts original submissions that may eventually be brought to life by the amazing voice actors featured on the show. The stories range from eerie to frightening, but there will be a story for all types of horror fans who may find themself interested in this podcast.
- Page 7: Jackie, Marcus, and Molly are the amazing hosts of this Last Podcast Network show all about pop culture and celebrity gossip. It’s my favourite show in that genre. I look forward to each new episode because I know there will be some singing from Jackie, Marcus will chime in with his opinion, and Molly will make sure everyone acknowledges when things are problematic. Overall, the three of them together make this show an amazing listen that always has me laughing out loud in public.
- The Roundtable of Gentlemen: Though now not updated as frequently because all the members of the show are super successful and moving all around the US, Roundtable is an amazing show that brings up hilarious news and comedy anecdotes. It features many of the previously mentioned Last Podcast Network members and they all have such an amazing dynamic. This show is pretty much like just getting drunk in a basement with your friends and shooting the breeze for an hour or so and not having any real goal with the conversation. Just talking with each other and strengthening your friendship with each other.
- Ear Hustle: This show is an absolutely brilliant work from the San Quentin prison. Hosted by an artist and an incarcerated person, each episode takes a theme from prison life and builds around it with music and anecdotes from currently incarcerated persons at San Quentin. I am impatiently awaiting season two because this show is so amazing and I can’t wait to hear what’s happened with the people featured in the show since we last heard from them.
- WTF with Marc Maron: WTF is a recent addition to my podcast listening and a near immediate add to my list of top 10. I’ve only been interested in Marc Maron since seeing him on Netflix’s GLOW and only had lukewarm feelings on him and his acting. It was listening to his podcast and getting to hear about his personal life (or as much as he was willing to share) and hear how he interacts with his guests that he has on a couple times a week. The show is in the format of essentially celebrities conversing with each other. It’s not really an interview, but it also is. I look forward to hearing who Marc is having on his show each week.
Honourable mentions go to: Chilling Tales for Dark Nights, Myths & Legends, Sirenicide, Killafornia Dreaming, Sex & Other Human Activities, This Week I Learned, Stuff They Don’t Want You To Know, 7-Minute Explainers, & Cults.